Picture for a moment the Disciple Peter:
– When Jesus asked Peter to follow Him, Peter responded immediately, leaving the familiar life he knew to become a follower of Jesus.
– Peter was a close companion to Jesus, encouraging and supporting Him in His ministry here on Earth.
– Peter defended Jesus at Gethsemane.
– Peter expressed that he was willing to die for Jesus.
– Peter rallied the first Christians on the steps of the Temple after Jesus was crucified, facilitating the spread of the early Church.
– Peter spent a good portion of his adult life spreading the Gospel and encouraging the growth of the Christian movement.
– Peter was imprisoned for Jesus’ sake.
– Peter was crucified, upside down, because he did not deem himself worthy to die as Jesus did.
I assert that on this Earthly plane, in an Earthly, human way, Peter sacrificed as much as Jesus. Peter was humble, devoted and driven toward the goal of teaching the known world about Jesus Christ and His impact.
Yet, in thousands of Christian churches Peter is branded as a coward because he denied knowing Jesus just prior to His crucifixion.
If you read in the Bible the account of the passion of Christ, yes, Peter denied Jesus.
However, I assert that Peter was obeying Jesus’ command to deny Him.
God needed Peter here on Earth following the physical departure of Christ.
Had Peter been crucified along with Jesus, who knows what the state of Christianity would be to this very age?
Also, we would have had two dead heroes. How would this have played out historically through the ages? Something to think about. Have faith.