Our bodies are the very temple of God! Think about it. Each Christian enjoys relationship with God through the indwelling Christ. Christ is in us, and we are in Him through the Holy Spirit.
Paul said it best in I Corinthians 6:19. “Do you not know that your body is the temple (the very sanctuary) of the Holy Spirit Who lives within you, Whom you have received [as a Gift] from God? You are not your own.” (Amplified Bible.)
This is not a man-made truth, it a spiritual truth, given by God to those who are able to understand this concept. Our bodies are not our own, they also are a free gift from God.
Our bodies deserve a full measure of respect. As we respect our bodies, we impart the Holy Spirit to others through behavior that is appropriate to the advancement of Christianity on earth. We are vessels of the Lord.
Now, I stand in judgment of no one. An individual’s respect for themselves is between that individual and God Himself. However, I have listed an assortment of ways in which our bodies can live to the glory of God through the Holy Spirit. Please bear with. To be certain, I have problems of my own to work out.
- Remember that old sculpture of the three monkeys: See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil? At least it’s a place to start. Watching what we take in at the movies, or on TV, or in books can help us live a wholesome life, fit for the Holy Spirit.
- Sometimes we can honor God by refraining to overeat too often. Sure, there will be feast days, but each and every day?
- I believe it is just as possible to over-exercise as it is to be too inactive.
- Perhaps we can examine whether consuming too much alcohol or using illicit drugs is a problem in our lives.
- Unwholesome sexual activity is a problem that can keep some people from enjoying fully a relationship with God.
- Tattoos? Some people would put them first on this list. In reality, it’s probably no worse than using too much makeup. If I were to suddenly decide to get a tattoo, I would reflect on whether the message would be offensive to God or to my neighbors.
- Body piercings. If looking at them is not making other people vomit, then perhaps they will pass muster with God.
The above is meant as a suggestion only. Remember that this is a reflective blog disseminating information I have obtained through my progression of faith. I read the blogs of many people, and I respect their relationship with God as well. Have faith.