What does Jesus have in Common with Cinderella?

Yesterday I watched the first episode of the new season of the Bachelorette, an American television program.  The program kept comparing the newest Bachelorette, Desire, with Cinderella.  Got to thinking.

We all know the story of Cinderella–The pure-in-heart young woman who is manipulated and bullied by her wicked step-mother and two equally mean step-sisters.  Cinderella is invited to a ball honoring the prince of the land who is looking for a bride. With the help of her fairy god-mother Cinderella attends the ball behind the backs of her adversaries and meets the prince.  Cinderella promises to obey her fairy god-mother by leaving the ball by midnight.  The prince falls in love with Cinderella at the ball.  The clock begins striking midnight, and Cinderella flees the ball, leaving behind a tiny glass slipper.  The prince vows and succeeds in finding the woman who belongs to the glass shoe.  They become husband and wife, and they live happily ever after.

You might ask how this story relates to Jesus.  Well, deep within our soul, we are God’s pure creation.  We have been bullied and manipulated by Satan (the ugly step-mother) and harassed by the result of the abuse that we have endured (the ugly step-sisters.  Notice that there are multiples.)

With the help of God (our fairy god-mother), we are invited to the ball (peace found within communication with God).  We are instructed to be obedient to His word (now let’s all leave the ball by midnight).  A token remains of our uniqueness and purity (the tiny glass slipper) for our prince (Jesus Christ) to follow and find us.  When our prince (Jesus Christ) finds us, we are invited to spend the rest of our lives in the comfort that can only be found in ongoing Divine relationship.  Our Prince finds us worthy, seeks us out, even in our misery, and invites us to join Him in the Holy state of Life and Love Everlasting.  Let us all live “happily ever after!”

W.S.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Christianity, Faith, Jesus, Life, Modern Living, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to What does Jesus have in Common with Cinderella?

1. rolerrol says:

This is a great post. I like the way you compared us to Cinderella….
    I have never seen it that way. Thank God for coming to save us from the enemy (step sisters)…

Rolain

2. rolerrol says:

Great post. I like the way you compared us to Cinderella. I have never seen it like that before. Thank God for saving us from the enemy (the ugly step sisters)..

Rolain

• wsforchrist says:

Thank you for your supportive comment. Some of the well-known fairy tales may have originated during times of religious persecution. For instance, the tale of a little boy and a little girl being lost and tempted in the world, then saved and redeemed by a benevolent father–the tale of Hansel and Gretel. The Holy Spirit can be very sly, slipping the the story of Christ in unexpected places.

3. revjoe01 says:

I love this comparison!
    I believe we all have our unique contribution to make. It often makes me think of this quotation from John Henry Newman:

God has created me to do Him some definite service; He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another. I have my mission—I never may know it in this life, but I shall be told it in the next.

Thank you so much for your thought provoking posts!

• wsforchrist says:

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your wise comment. I would add this comment to the quote by John Henry Newman, “and nobody is ever left out.”

• God By Default says:

I love this story and your spin. I, however took something entirely different, but I like your version better.

You see, Cinderella was a masochist. After her father died, her heart was broken, the house and property still belonged to her, as she couldve easily removed her step family. But, being depressed, she lived with the agony, even changing her name from Ella to Cinderella, as nominated by her evil step family. She toiled under their abuse until a “fairy god mother”, or king came to her rescue. So, in short, this story teaches children to be masochistic until a miracle happens, which usually never does.

But I like your version better!

• wsforchrist says:

Thank you for visiting my blog. I like your insight. Perhaps it is only a fairy tale, but I believe Cinderella was actually inherently good. We live in an era where women do not always have to remain victims. However, at the creation of the story of Cinderella, women had few choices. Thanks again. I have been away from the blogosphere quite a bit. Life is calming down. Hopefully I will be back to blogging and enjoying and learning from the thoughts of others, like you. May God bless you.